Monday 15 August 2011

Off the Rails

The finishing line is getting closer.  This week I've been mainly pottering about, just adding a few bits here and there, but the boat's now looking much more complete.

I've fixed the stern rails and side stern rails, along with the flybridge screen.  Now just a few more bits and pieces to add, and to rebuild the mast which took another hit in a clumsy moment.

As I've a picture of the stern, I thought I'd describe the modifications I've made here.
At the bottom are the trim tab mounts.  These are simply lengths of 6x3 styrene shaped and blended with filler.  A friend is making some adjustable rams for the trim tabs on his lathe.  The oil overflow pipes have been added.  The biggest change though was to build recesses for the exhausts.  A hole was drilled and then reamed out on both sides.  The recess was actually made from a pritt stick lid.  The exhausts then sit in the recesses.  They're not deep but they are noticeable on the full size boat.

Just visible in the photo is the engine room hatch.  I've scratch built this to the more flush current type, using the kit part as a guide.  I've also used checker plate on it .  Also seen under the flybridge stairs is the X boat motor.

Just to finish off this post is a photo of the model from the side.
PS The flyer to the right of the shot is not for the Nuremberg rally, it's for Richard Herring's Hitler Moustache tour - dvd available from Go Faster Stripe!

No comments:

Post a Comment