Wednesday 31 December 2014

Paint it Black (and orange...)

It's been a while since I've posted but I've been busy.  Not much progress for the time involved but at least the build is going forward albeit with several steps back.

I've painted the wheelhouse inside and out.  It's taken a lot of effort to get to the finish in the photos below, lots of rubbing down and repainting as I've struggled to get a decent finish.  As it is it still needs flatting down and then polishing back up with rubbing compound and then polish.






I've also painted some of the smaller components...


There's an issue with the hull paint too!  I painted it with Halfords Gloss Appliance White and left it several weeks to dry.  But, and it's a big but, the stand is marking the hull.  I've tried mouse map as recommended by Model Slipway, masking tape on top of the mouse mat and felt.  The felt is better then the others but still leaving marks.  I'm now thinking of a stand redesign to spread the boat's weight over the stand better in the hope that will work!

4 comments:

  1. Phil. I've got mine on a temporary stand at the moment which is covered by an old cotton tea towel and there's no marks on the white painted hull. Maybe you could try some sort of cotton strips on the stand (strips of cotton hankie/tea towel maybe?).
    Regards.
    Kev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion Kev. I fear the issue might be that I've used Gloss Appliance White and it's not tough enough. So, I've bought some car panel spray and will try that when it gets warmer again. Fingers crossed and I'll try using cotton as well.
      Phil

      Delete
  2. Phil,
    I used Ford Diamond White so you may be right in that it could be the "quality" of the paint.
    Kev.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's either great minds or fools then as I bought a few cans of Ford Diamond White for the job a few weeks ago!
      Phil

      Delete